Welcome to Saranac Middle School
Please see pages 11 and 12 of our Student Handbook tab for the most updated Student Attire Guidelines for the 2014-2015 school year. This was updated by our Middle School Shared-Decision Making Committee during Spring 2014.
- This week’s word of the week is sound reasoning(adverb): 1) correct, valid, or thorough. This month’s graphic organizer is The Word Wheel. Test your child’s knowledge of the word and graphic organizer this week!
- THE HARLEM WIZARDS ARE COMING! Saranac Middle School PBIS is bringing The Harlem Wizards back to Saranac on Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 7pm in the High School Gymnasium. Tickets are on sale now! Buy and print your tickets online by clicking on the following url: https://harlemwizards.thundertix.com/orders/new?performance_id=1379541 You can also send in the money and order form with your child. All orders will be filled as we receive them!
- Next week, the Math state assessment will take place, April 22nd-24th. During testing week, students are encouraged to:
- Get plenty of rest.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Think positive thoughts.
- Have fun!
- Do their best.
- There will be a half day for students on May 13th.
Students who refuse (opt-out), or are absent for all or part of, a state assessment will be eligible for AIS services. Such services will remain in place until they have demonstrated proficiency on the next state assessment. For these students, the following will be considered for placement in either direct or indirect AIS services;
- Student academic record
- Teacher/counselor/administration recommendation
- Previous state assessment results
- Previous AIS services
For previous issues, go to the "Middle School" tab and scroll down to "Newsletters".
Middle grade children go through dramatic changes and desperately need their parents’ support. Many parents want to help, but aren’t sure what to do. Every issue offers practical ideas to:
- Improve school success.
- Strengthen the home and school partnership.<?LI>
- Enhance parenting skills.
- Strengthen family life.
- Understand middle graders’ behavior.
- Build positive character traits.
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Students:
I hope you all had a lovely summer filled with fun adventures. My new adventure begins on September 23rd as the new principal at Saranac Middle School. It will be a privilege and honor to lead the Saranac Middle School community during a time of incredible change and tremendous possibilities in education. Our challenge is to embrace the future of 21st century learning by embracing the new Common Core Standards. This is the most significant change under way in middle schools across New York State. The Common Core Standards are intended to provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help each child. The standards are designed to be rigorous and relevant to the real world, reflecting knowledge and skills that our young people need for academic success and to be college and career-ready. As the year progresses, we will be communicating with you on how these changes will affect you and your child and what you can do to help us achieve success with the Common Core Standards.
To all students, I ask that you create a personal goal and strive to do your best every day. Know that administration, faculty, and staff are here to support and encourage you as you explore different opportunities and grow as individuals. Remember that with these opportunities comes a personal and collective responsibility to be supportive of one another and our school. I will count on you to go beyond tolerance and treat all members of our community with respect.
I have high hopes for a successful school year. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you in the near future.
Middle School Principal