Welcome to Saranac Middle School
Please see pages 11 and 12 of our Student Handbook tab for the most updated Student Attire Guidelines for the 2014-2015 school year. This was updated by our Middle School Shared-Decision Making Committee this spring.
- The Family School Organization (FSO) meeting that was planned for Monday, November 3rd at 5:30 has been changed to Tuesday, November 4thin the MS/HS Library at 5:30 p.m. We are still in need of parent participation so please consider attending.
- The grade 8 teachers are hosting the annual Pet Food/Supply Drive to benefit a local Humane Society. Students are welcome to bring in donations during homeroom. Each item will be weighed and given a numerical point based on weight of the item. The homeroom in grade 6, 7, and 8 with the most points will win a pizza party. Donations will be collected from October 27th through November 18th. Thank you for your consideration!
- The grade 8 teachers are also holding a Coat Drive from October 29th through November 24th. Please see the attachment for more details!
- Our next Cabin Fever Reliever will be held on November 4thafter school from 3-4 with the title, “Blurt.” Students will join Ms. Bunker for a fun trivia game and enjoy a popcorn snack. Please encourage your child to sign up soon. After-school transportation is available.
- November 6th will be a ½ day for students.
- First quarter ends on November 7th.
Students who refuse (opt-out), or are absent for all or part of, a state assessment will be eligible for AIS services. Such services will remain in place until they have demonstrated proficiency on the next state assessment. For these students, the following will be considered for placement in either direct or indirect AIS services;
- Student academic record
- Teacher/counselor/administration recommendation
- Previous state assessment results
- Previous AIS services
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Students:
I hope you all had a lovely summer filled with fun adventures. My new adventure begins on September 23rd as the new principal at Saranac Middle School. It will be a privilege and honor to lead the Saranac Middle School community during a time of incredible change and tremendous possibilities in education. Our challenge is to embrace the future of 21st century learning by embracing the new Common Core Standards. This is the most significant change under way in middle schools across New York State. The Common Core Standards are intended to provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help each child. The standards are designed to be rigorous and relevant to the real world, reflecting knowledge and skills that our young people need for academic success and to be college and career-ready. As the year progresses, we will be communicating with you on how these changes will affect you and your child and what you can do to help us achieve success with the Common Core Standards.
To all students, I ask that you create a personal goal and strive to do your best every day. Know that administration, faculty, and staff are here to support and encourage you as you explore different opportunities and grow as individuals. Remember that with these opportunities comes a personal and collective responsibility to be supportive of one another and our school. I will count on you to go beyond tolerance and treat all members of our community with respect.
I have high hopes for a successful school year. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you in the near future.
Middle School Principal